Discussion in 'Rugby Union Discussion' started by Furball, Aug 17, 2013.
Good test so far
Wow. Exciting 2nd half.
Out of any game we could have lost, I'm glad it was that one. Not in the RWC, good wake up call and we get to re-play them again next week.
I'd suspect we'll win that one by a few tbh.
Yeah there was some really pathetic defensive attempts there, especially on the line.
Yeah fucking poor.
Woodcock and Franks showing they're passed their use by for sure. Whole forward pack was pretty poor tonight tbh. Read a bit of a letdown too.
Carter was meh as well as SBW and Savea was pretty ineffective.
Grats to the Wobblies.
Carn the Boks!
Those aussie tries seemed to just waltz through our line with relative ease.
Quick fact: No team that's won the RC/ Tri Nations in a RWC year has gone on to win the RWC
Ha ha ha... good stat.
It is the wake up call we needed.
What a shocking weekend all round. First the Wobblies being decent and then the Boks getting absolutely smashed.
On the Boks I want to wash my mouth a little:
1. Jean de Villiers should get the fuck out of the team. If they are adamant on him being captain then he can do it off the bench. He was fucking horrible, proved that he lacks even the basic pace to run 22 metres to score a try (I swear Jannie Du Plessis is faster than he is) and has shown that he currently is not even within the top 5 centres in the country. Francois Steyn for me is the only viable option at 12 with De Allende moving to 13 and Kriel playing at 15 where he excels. Willie le Roux can play wing if he is to be accommodated somewhere.
2. Handre Pollard lacks maturity and BMT which is only gained through experience. He was broken after making 2 basic mistakes and it just went drastically down hill from there. I shared the sentiments of the crowd when they basically called for Lambie's introduction and Pollards removal. I said it before, Pollard is surely the future, but as a 21 year old he is not ready yet for the WC.
3. What the fuck was Meyer thinking picking a specialist fullback, whose only exposure to international rugby is at outside centre, on the wing!? Whilst Jesse Kriel is a hugely talented rugby player you still need positional insight and a feel for your responsibilities which is surely impossible to coach into a player in one week, ffs! Kriel's poor defensive play, which is totally not his fault and I do not blame him, leaked 2 of the tries which we conceded as "soft" tries.
4. Vincent Koch was horrible at tighthead in the scrums, but I am going to call it that the ref made piss poor decision when penalising him at least 3 times and if you remove 3 penalties off of his game record, it would look much better. Despite the poor show, I still reckon he should maintain his spot in the match day 23, although on the bench with Coenie Oosthuizen starting if he is fit. There is no place for Jannie.
5 The ref: Fuck him, he was terrible, especially with his calls at the set pieces, the horrendously fucking retarded call on the disallowing of Reinach's try and the allowing of Imhoff's 3rd try whilst JdV was still talking to the players on discipline and there were 4 medics on the field within the immediate play area of the ball.
Ref was probably rooting for the underdog. Looked that way anyway on the "medics on the field" try.
I will cross post some of my posts I made on CW here.
No one seems to be reading them over there.
I fucking hate Fardy at flank. This was probably the first time ever one can say that he has had an outstanding performance. He is always barely average, so where he got that 2nd half performance from I don't know. Pocock was brilliant at 8 despite obvious lack of knowledge of the positional intricacies.
Agree that the Wobblies will get beaten in NZ this weekend.
Boks to lose to the Argies again in Mendoza.
Agree with all your points Cane. Don't know if Smith has lost all shape but was by far his worst performance that I have ever seen and I was pretty critical of him a few years ago.
Nonu is so bloody crucial. SBW was so bloody average and tbh wouldn't be missed if he was dropped but there's probably some line in his contract that ensures him of a RWC spot. Actually there probably is for so many of these "reliables" that aren't so reliable anymore. Woodcock needs to sit down along with so many others, in actual fact if I was coach and had the ABs squad to pick from I'd go with this for Saturday: - not that Hansen will.
1. Wyatt Crockett
2. Dane Coles
3. Nepo Laulala
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read
9. TJ Perenara (yes)
10. Lima Sopoaga (yes - looking better than Barrett atm but would have Barrett starting in RWC)
11. Julian Savea (better play this time mate)
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Charles Piutau
15. Nehe Milner-Skudder
16. Hika Elliot
17. Owen Franks
18. Ben Franks
19. Jeremy Thrush (Broadhurst based on S15)
20. Sam Cane
21. Aaron Smith
22. Beaudan Barrett
23. George Moala/ Fekitoa
Note: no Ben Smith under the assumption he won't play.
That side will never be picked from Hansen but the reality is that's the best side he can play this weekend based on form and current performances. Piutau/ NMS can be swapped but reckon NMS's kicking game is better so he slots in FB.
Why not start with Aaron Smith
Because he played the worst game of his life and needs a wake up call.
Fair enough... I only saw the highlights.
lollabies taking the beating of all beatings
I was pleasantly surprised how convincing the win was!
Probably the worst performance I can remember the Wallabies ever playing. We didn't even play particularly well....which says something.
Separate names with a comma.